24/7 Emergency Service
Serving Lake, Sumter, Citrus, Marion, Hernando, Levy, and Alachua.

Natural gas is a safe, reliable and affordable energy source. However, a slow natural gas leak can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. A gas leak can happen with natural gas, propane and carbon monoxide. Gas leaks can happen both inside and outside of the home and pose a great danger to families, pets, and properties. While propane and natural gas leaks can present signs that homeowners’ can easily detect, carbon monoxide is virtually undetectable without electronic detectors.

Homeowners can be vigilant of all forms of gas leaks by being aware of common signs and performing regular checks of their fuel burning systems and appliances.

Natural gas is odorless and colorless. Gas companies add a “sulfur” or “rotten eggs” smell to make it recognizable in case of a leak. It is also nontoxic as long as the appliances are in a well-ventilated space. Natural gas is flammable under the right combination of oxygen and ignition sources.

7 Signs and Symptoms of Natural Gas Leak:

  1. Higher than normal gas bills
  2. The smell of sulfur or rotten eggs in your home
  3. Dead grass or plant life near exterior gas lines
  4. Dead indoor plants
  5. Headaches
  6. Drowsiness
  7. Flu-like symptoms

Prevention of Slow Natural Gas Leaks

  • Inspection: Have all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in your home or business inspected every year by qualified industry professionals.
  • Ventilation: Keep the areas around all appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper airflow. Natural gas can build up in the air of your home if it is not given the opportunity to circulate out through vents.
  • Carbon Monoxide Detector: Place one on every floor of your home and in sleeping rooms
  • Household Chemicals and Flammable Materials: Store chemicals and flammable materials away from gas appliances.
  • Fire Extinguisher: Always make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business..

Natural gas leaks can be repaired very quickly and safely by a professional plumber, but they can pose safety dangers to homeowners. Carbon monoxide leaks can be deadly. Homeowners should take every precaution when dealing with gas leaks inside of their home.

If a homeowner’s suspects a gas leak, they should immediately open windows and leave the home taking family members and pets with them. Homeowners should not turn any appliances on, operate any electricity, or start their vehicle. Any spark can cause an explosion.

If you have any questions related to gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning and detection or need your heating system inspected and serviced, don’t hesitate to call our team at Mike Scott Plumbing at 1-866-314-4443 or request a call from one of our professional service technicians here.

Your Top Choice for Plumbing Solutions: 36+ Years of Unmatched Plumbing Know-How

36+ Years of Experience

With over 36 years of dedicated experience, we bring unmatched expertise to every plumbing challenge, ensuring your home's comfort and peace of mind.

24/7 Emergency Service

Our expert team is always ready to respond, providing 24/7 emergency plumbing service to swiftly address any unexpected issues, day or night.

Professionally Trained & Licensed Plumbers

Rest easy knowing that our team of professionally trained and fully licensed plumbers is dedicated to providing quality solutions for all your plumbing needs.

24/7 SERVICE

STRAIGHT TIME.
ANY TIME.
ALL THE TIME.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *